Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Well done, good and faithful servant

A girl I know died recently. I didn't know her very well, but I knew of her fairly well. She died of ovarian cancer at a very young age. (30? 31? My mom would know.) It came on quite suddenly, and progressed rather quickly. She continued to teach art in a public school in North Carolina, loving on and ministering to children for as long as her body allowed her to.

She was an amazing witness for Christ to all she came into contact with. She lived her life for Christ, and she died a slow death for Him.

I was thinking the other day how certain I am of the fact that when she arrived in Heaven, and got to meet her Creator and Savior face to face He said "well done, good and faithful servant." I firmly believe that she was a good steward with what she had been given, and lived even the last few, painful months, for His glory, and to His honor.

Which makes me wonder... will I hear that phrase when I get to heaven? See, I don't think that just because you're a Christian, and you go to heaven, that you are automatically a good and faithful servant. While I realize that no one is perfect, some Christians run the race harder, with more focus.

It is easy to forget that just because we're saved doesn't mean we get to do nothing and watch our lives go by. Another verse that I like, and I think ties in here, is "To whom much is given, much will be required." We who are Christians have been given not only the gift of eternal life, but the mandate to share the news of that gift, to impact our world for Christ, and- dare I quote both Mark Driscoll and John Piper?- not waste our lives.

Pastor Mark Driscoll pointed out in a recent sermon that "worse than death is a wasted life."

Are you wasting your life? Am I? When you die, what will you hear? What will I hear?

No comments:

Post a Comment