Thursday, March 10, 2011

Contentment Part 1

So, the whole minimalism thing got me thinking a lot about contentment. What does it really mean? What does it entail? Am I content?

The Apostle Paul in Philippians 4:11-13 that: 11 I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. 12 I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. 13 I can do all this through him who gives me strength.

Dictionary.com defines "content" as: "satisfied with what one is or has; not wanting more or anything else."

I realized that I/we (the Kolbes) don't actually NEED anything other than what we have. Instead of focusing on what we have, I had been focusing on what we DON'T have, and what I'd LIKE to have.

At the same time I was thinking through all of this, I also realized that I've been lax in memorizing Scripture, so I wrote part of that Philippians passage on the bottom the menu/calendar sheet on the fridge. So every time I checked the sheet, or even went to open the fridge, I'd see it and read it.

A few nights after THAT, I was walking somewhere, and saw a minivan go by- the same make and model that we were blessed to be able to use during our time in the states (Matt and Fred, y'all ROCK!!!). So my first thought was "ooohhhhh I would love to be driving that right now. How much easier would my life be?" Then I was like, wait! I'm memorizing Scripture on being CONTENT. So maybe what I should do is whenever discontented thoughts pop up, I should quote those verses back to myself. Heh heh. Take THAT discontent. It worked. God is awesome. =)

Stay tuned for more on this....

No comments:

Post a Comment